FYI [participant handbook] getting from mail in your inbox to that same message in the W3C archive by Message-ID

Here's a trick you may wish to use sometime.  There was an
opportunity for
it to have helped in a recent telecon, but not if I took enough time to
explain it right then.  So I created an action for me to go through this
offline.

http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/track/actions/237

The W3C mail archives have a way to retrieve messages by message-id.

The syntax is http://www.w3.org/mid/... where ... is replaced by the
Message-ID header value from the message in question *without* the
leading
and trailing angle brackets.

These URLs are given in Archived-At: headers in the mail distributed by
the W3C mailing list manager.

In a message you get from the list, you will find, if you inspect the
headers,
both of the following (data from arbitrary but real example message
shown):

.. and you will find you can retrieve this message from the archives
by any of
http://www.w3.org/mid/p06240872c4e4b9d5c033@%5B10.0.1.8%5D
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2008Sep/0031.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2008Sep/0118.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2008Sep/0025.html

The time when it is good to know the full pattern is when you are
reading your
personal copy of a mailgram that also got sent to a W3C list and you
want to
browse the thread using the W3C archive.  Then you need to go to the
headers,
extract the Message-ID value, strip the angle brackets, prepend
'http://www.w3.org/mid/'
and put that in the address bar of your browser.  If it was cross-
posted, you will
have to choose which list archive to browse in.  But this will get
you from a mailgram
in your mailer to the archives, if it ever hit the archives.

Al