Re: Is longdesc a good solution? (was: Acessibility of <audio> and <video>)

Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> Since you used the word "full data set", I guess the spreadsheet
> will not be a textual equivalent of the chart, but rather an
> augmented - full - version of the background material.

You continue to make assumptions about the intention of my
hypothetical example. I specifically said aria-describedby provides
equivalent, not identical functionality of longdesc.

> If so, then it does IMHO not fullfill the role of a @longdesc
> resource, since the @longdesc URI should merely have contained a
> textual variant of the Chart. (@longdesc = "long @alt".)

I grow weary of this exchange. You overlooked the entire point of the
hypothesis to nitpick on details of little consequence. Nothing in the
definition for @longdesc says it has to link to a raw text resource
nor that it has to link to a resource that *only* includes the textual
variant of the chart. As you keep repeating, it's just a URI. I'd
argue that a URI to an HTML version of the long description plus a
table of the full data set is more useful than a URI to just the long
description. In the same spirit of universal design that allows access
to everyone, I'd argue that showing a visible link to that long
description resource (as in the code sample) is better than burying
that URI in the longdesc attribute where almost no one can get at it.

James