Re: Keyboard Behaviors for Elements with Role "Grid"

Hi Joseph,

(Replying only to XTech list.)

At 17:12 29/07/2008, Joseph Scheuhammer wrote:

>Here's an attempt at summarizing one of the problems, and a possible
>compromise.
>
>Currently Tab/Shift+Tab is used to move among large chunks of the
>page or web app.  This is pretty much the convention in the style guide.
>Arrow keys  are used to navigate within widgets.
>
>It would be very useful to have quick navigation among editable
>cells in a grid and not force users to navigate "endlessly" to them
>using the arrow keys.  However, if the number of editable cells is
>numerous, using Tab to move among them leads to a sense of being
>trapped if one wants to navigate through and outside of the grid quickly.
>
>Would the following work as a compromise?
>
>- Use Tab/Shift+Tab to move in and out of widgets, as before.
>
>- Use arrows to navigate within widgets, as before.
>
>- Use Ctrl+Tab to move within a grid quickly among editable cells.
>
>I'm suggesting Ctrl+Tab instead of Jon's Ctrl+Enter since it
>includes "Tab" and that conjures up navigation.
>
>However, it's entirely possible that Ctrl+Tab may already be taken
>by the OS or the browser.

Some browsers use Ctrl+Tab to switch between tabs (in tabbed
navigation). At least Firefox, Opera and SeaMonkey do this.
Ctrl+Tab takes you to the next tab, Shift+Ctrl+Tab takes you to the
previous tab.

Best regards,

Christophe

--