Re: Using title for ARIA name is impractical!

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 11:38 AM, Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org>wrote:

> On 23 Jul 2008, at 12:53 PM, Srinivas Annam wrote:
>
>  Hi Aaron,
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 1:29 AM, Aaron Leventhal <
>> aaronleventhal@moonset.net
>>
>>> wrote:
>>>

>>  Hi Sri,
>>>
>>> I have the idea, although I had not seen a scenario where you want the
>>> menu text to be different from what's shown visually yet.
>>>

>> Not different, but the text is not being shown visually at all in these
>> cases. Here are some scenarios -
>>
>>   1. You have a listbox (visually not titled),
>>

> Why?  Why would you do this?

Because the listbox is part of another complex widget which has a label of
it's own. The outer complex widget has no suitable ARIA role and in fact,
contains more than one ARIA widget.

> If there is no explicit label for the listbox, is it because of information
> in the context?

Yes.

> Can't admit this is a use case we should address unless I understand why
> there is an unlabeled control on the page.
>
> Can you give examples from the live Web of such a circumstance (that we
> wouldn't all rewrite to include a label text)?

Yes, in Gmail the Chat widget on the left consists of a contact list which
is part of the Chat widget. Only label that is available here is that of the
complex widget, namely "Chat".

>  which takes focus on itself
>>   and subsequently on it's list items. Provide a title on the listbox
>> which
>>   has the outermost div and the option items being inside. The title
>> provided
>>   on the listbox bleeds through as I hover over on any of the option
>> items.
>>   (see the modified listbox example I sent earlier)
>>   2. Have a menu button (with a role of button and haspopup is set to
>>   true), the button has it's own text and drop down arrow will show a
>> popup
>>   menu and set the focus to popup. Adding a title on the popup menu will
>>   introduce a tooltip as I hover over any of the menu items.
>>

> if you give it @role="button" then the 'own text' that the button has is
> used for the accessible name *in preference to* any @title value, already.
> So you don't need an @title to give this button an accessible name.  If
> 'subtree' is acceptable, it takes precedence over @title.
>
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/aria/#nameref
>
> We have a rewrite in process of the 'nameFrom' discussion in the spec
> that should make this even clearer.
>
>    3. Similarly a tree having the outermost div and a title. Hovering on
>> the
>>   tree items will show the title as tooltip.
>>

> Why is the identification of this tree not visible in the context?  Live
> examples, please?

Again, because it's part of a complex widget and doesn't have a visible
title.

> I think that you have an important issue, in terms of destructive
> interference between
> the tooltip behavior that the browser will implement with @title and the
> action of @aria-labelledby or nameFrom='subtree' under the covers.  But so
> far
> the leaves should be covered by roles that allow nameFrom='subtree' and the
> roots should have visible text usable as a label in the context that you
> can
> hook with @aria-labelledby.
>
> Using @title to give an element an accessible name can be awkward, but when
> this is so, there would seem to usually be a better option using 'subtree'
> (where allowed) or @aria-labelledby text.

Again, we are going back @aria-labelledby as a workaround for the
awkwardsness of @title usage. So, rather than fixing the source of the
problem which is that we are re-using a HTML attribute with an obvious and
unwanted visual side-effect we are arguing why one can't use an available
work around.

I have given my reasons as to how many bytes each aria-labelledby usage will
increase, which I still feel unnecessary and avoidable (by fixing the @title
problem).