Re: Drag and drop and copy/paste

Don,

The fluid project is really quite impressive. Would you consider inviting
Colin to the style guide meeting and let him vet some ideas on keystrokes
for drag/drop?

Thanks,
Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
blog: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/schwer

Colin Clark <colin.clark@utoronto.ca> wrote on 12/08/2008 03:14:20 PM:

> Colin Clark <colin.clark@utoronto.ca>
> 12/08/2008 03:14 PM

> wai-xtech@w3.org
>
> cc
>
> Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS, Joseph Scheuhammer
> <clown@utoronto.ca>, oliver.keim@sap.com, stefan.schnabel@sap.com
>
> Subject
>
> Drag and drop and copy/paste
>
> Hi all,
>
> I'm the technical lead for the Fluid Project, an open source community
> of interaction designers and UI developers who do a lot of DHTML
> accessibility work. I've been following the ongoing thread about
> keystrokes for doing drag and drop interactions with great interest.
>
> Over the past year or so, we've done a lot of user testing and
> research about drag and drop interactions. As we delved more deeply
> into the problem of keyboard navigation, one of the things that became
> clear was how much context matters when coming up with the appropriate
> keystrokes and interactions.
>
> Based on our testing experience, we found that it's risky to think
> about drag and drop as a homogenous use case. There are lots of
> different types of activities that are powered by drag and drop:
>
> * Sorting items in lists, grids, or layouts
> * Moving or copying items within a tree or folder hierarchy
> * Creating file shortcuts or aliases
> * Opening files within a specific application
> * Referencing external files, text, or other media within an application
> * And so on...
>
> Not all of these activities are appropriate for the familiar cut/copy/
> paste idiom. For example, prioritizing items in your "to do" list by
> sorting them in order of importance. You're not copying an element,
> you're simply moving its position relative to the others. Neither are
> you cutting an item from the list, since again, you're just changing
> position. Similarly, many of the other use cases listed above don't
> naturally correspond to the copy/paste metaphor.

Thanks Colin, the keyboard style guide group is still working on the key
strokes for this. You are not the
only one who has raised concerns over the copy/paste metaphor.