Re: WAI-ARIA language providing for strong and weak implicit semantics from host language.

I just don't see any purpose in an upper limit on how many roles to expose
to a platform a11y API, especially if that API allows more than one. We
don't even know what other platform a11y APIs might be invented before
ARIA 2 comes out. Since ARIA allows 0-n roles, the platform API should be
able to choose how to deal with that.

>From my point of view, the purpose if the text were discussing here is to
ensure that everyone knows there can be no role, and what that means. It
means either 1) expose a neutral or null role of some kind, or 2) if there
is really nothing interesting about that DOM node, it's not necessary to
expose the object at all

- Aaron

From:
Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org>
To:
Aaron M Leventhal/Cambridge/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:
W3C WAI-XTECH <wai-xtech@w3.org>, wai-xtech-request@w3.org
Date:
12/10/2008 05:16 PM

On 10 Dec 2008, at 4:02 AM, Aaron M Leventhal wrote:

> The OS X accessibility protocol allows a subrole, which is a more
> detailed role. This allows apps to expose a role that older
> versions of VoiceOver would understand, and a newer more specific
> subrole for later versions.
>
> Therefore, we probably shouldn't say that there can't be more than
> one. Instead, I would explain when there could be no role, and in
> those cases the UA should expose either a totally neutral role that
> means no role, or not expose the object at all.

I think we have them covered.

Note that we agreed to defer role extension to the 2.0 version of
ARIA.  So the
idea that there would be a browser that recognizes a precise role and
an AT that
only recognizes its more general down-level super-role is a future
thing.  OS X
has subroles now, but we don't have a need to feed them sub/super-
role pairs yet.

An AT as of 1.0 is either going to recognize the sub-role or not
recognize the super-role.

[I am going to call them the precise role and the general role from
here on in in the
discussion, as they can be ancestor and descendant by generic/
specific and not merely
immediate next steps in the derivation graph.]

In the case of an up-level browser than knows about role extension
and 2.0 roles with
a layered AT that only knows about the 1.0 roles, it is probably a
better idea for the
browser to *compute the super-roles of the "applicable ARIA role"
from the definition
of that role* rather than depend on what the author has done to put
super-roles in the
list after the precise role.

Authors *should still* put down-level-recognizable super-roles in the
list in the
@role attribute value to support down-level _browsers_, but the up-
level browsers
should go from the dsub/super-relationships declared in the published
definition of the precise
role to determine the chain of "precise role and down-level
ancestors" to expose to
AT.

Note that in

</quote
cite="">
7.3.2.5. Applicable ARIA role rules, in accessibility API binding

The applicable ARIA role, if there is one, MUST be the role value
which is mapped to the value of a role property in any accessibility
API which accepts only one role value.
</quote>

s/which/that -- for U.S. English

APIs that allow subroles are exempted from using the "applicable ARIA
role" and that value *only*.

We could add a note, something informative, on the order of:

Future versions of WAI-ARIA might define extension mechanisms by
which sub-roles of specification-published
roles can be defined by publications other than versions of this
specification.  In that case, APIs that
allow sub-roles in addition to roles would be well advised to do the
following on encountering an extension
or later-published role that is a specialization of a down-level
role: expose the down-level super-role as
'role' and the extended role as 'sub-role.'

On second thought, I think that we can broaden that if we move it to
the Implementation Guidelines.  Where
we have the API capability to expose role and sub-role, the 'role'
should expose a super-role of the
narrowest-applicable role in any case where the OS knows that there
are ATs that only understand the
super-role and won't understand the sub-role.  That's not limited to
ARIA situations.  They can expose
a multi-selectable tablist as sub-role='accordion' if the API defines
an 'accordion' role.  That is for
the API binding implementation to handle and define.

[Editorial note:  I am consciously avoiding the plain-English use of
'should' and 'may' in this informative
prose, as I think this is good editorial practice in a document that
uses RFC-2119 terms in normative
provisions.]

Al