Re: aria-flowto changes user-agent behavior, which isn't the intended purpose of ARIA

It's probably possible to do that example with CSS. But, I'm not sure why
tabindex or flowto are necessary either if CSS can handle all situations.

I don't like the link idea, because the content won't always need any
links. Sometimes it's just static text. I don't think hidden links area
good way to define things.

You are right that there is overlap with features in host languages,
although flowto does more.

The aria-flowto attribute has several benefits over other systems, because
it can link whole containers of elements rather than just chaining
focusable items:
- it affects the reading order of the document, not just tab key
navigation
- it generally requires fewer changes even for navigation changes, since
form controls still tend to collect in group
- unlike tabindex, if new content is inserted into the document that also
changes navigation, the old and new content navigation order settings are
unlikely to interfere with each other (e.g. tabindex="5" in both places)
- it fits nicely with current accessibility APIs that have flowto and
flowfrom relations

Perhaps if there is redundancy but flowto is a better model, the answer
isn't to kill flowto, but to recommend that other WGs consider it for a
navigation model in their host languages.

- Aaron