Re: longdesc and ARIA Re: [html4all] some reflections on @alt usage

Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> There is a seperate issue, which is really on ARIA, about how browsers should behave when you have ARIA conflicting with other stuff e.g. longdesc and aria-describedBy and they point to different things.
>Should ARIA be trusted in all cases? Should it be determined seperately for different ARIA properties? Should we trust the old attributes (this has the benefit that backwards-compatibility comes up with the same results,
>which is probably quite valuable really).

There was some comment by Ian on IRC/WG list (cannot find reference just
now) about what would happen when ARIA described by etc was used
alongside the new HTML 5 elements etc to describe the same
content/instances or if there was some dissonance etc. To paraphrase,
the thrust of it was saying that these issues are problematic and may
halt the  /adoption/ or /absorption/ of ARIA into HTML 5.

Cheers

Josh