Re: prolog - use case? role?

At 12:20 PM -0400 12 07 2007, Al Gilman wrote:
>The following pattern of practice has come up as a possible additional role:
>
>>1. Should we provide for a prologue role to identify prologue text
>>preceding widgets in an application region of a document? This
>>prologue may have links. The AT would announce a prologue on user
>>command when entering a widget in an application region.
>
>My reaction to this question was that we should share the pros and cons
>with our "best practices" community here on XTECH.  So here it is.
>
>In some initial discussions the idea of using "describedby" to cover this
>functionality and rejected; but the pros and cons would be good to develop
>here along with other ideas.

PFWG discussed this on a call on 4 September and at that time we
decided that "what to say on entering a new and different region" was
adequately handled by the @describedby relationship.

Suggested Practice:

If a section of the page is different enough from what goes around
and before it so as to need a prologue or introduction when the audio
visitor arrives out of the blue (by direct navigation, for example),
then the following markup should be used. The portion needing
introduction should be wrapped in a container element, if not already
in one. The container element should be marked with @role='region' or
some more specific role descended from 'region.' Finally, this
container element should have an @describedby relationship pointing
to some content in the page that may be used, when needed, to
introduce the region.

The section of content pointed to by an @describedby arc from the
container for the region to be introduced could be normally visible,
or normally invisible.  It could be either a normally visible part of
the text preceding the region in reading order, or it could be a
specially-phrased introduction styled to be normally hidden in the
visual browse.

Based on this available markup practice, we decided against adding
a new and different role. We felt the use case is adequately covered
by existing markup.

Al