RE:: Thoughts about tooltips

Hi Becky,
a comment on Stefan's assertion:
<stefan>
>FIRST STATEMENT: Originally title attribute is designed to host tooltip
>strings.
>It should solely remain for this purpose and explecitely designated by
>W3C for this.
</stefan>

The original documentation of  title attribute display (HTML 2.0specification -
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_5.html#SEC5.7.3 ) is not
prescriptive about how the title attribute is designed to be displayed:
  "suggests a title for the destination resource --- advisory only. The *
TITLE* attribute may
<http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_2.html#GLOSS21>be used:

   - for display prior to accessing the destination resource, for
   example, as a margin note or on a small box while the mouse is over the
   anchor <http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_2.html#GLOSS2>,
   or while the document is being loaded;
   - for resources that do not include a title, such as graphics, plain
   text and Gopher menus, for use as a window title. "

It only suggests a number of possible display scenarios.
The HTML 4.01 specification does not prescribe how title attribute content
is to be conveyed to the user

"Values of the title<http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#adef-title>attribute
may be rendered by user agents in a variety of ways. For instance,
visual browsers frequently display the title as a "tool tip" (a short
message that appears when the pointing device pauses over an object). Audio
user agents may speak the title information in a similar context. "
[http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#adef-title]

But it does clarify its intended function in relation to accessibility:

2.3.2 Accessibility

"As the Web community grows and its members diversify in their abilities and
skills, it is crucial that the underlying technologies be appropriate to
their specific needs. HTML has been designed to make Web pages more
accessible to those with physical limitations. HTML 4 developments inspired
by concerns for accessibility include:"

"Support for the *TITLE* and lang attributes on all elements."
[http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/intro/intro.html#h-2.3.2]

So i suggest that:

   - The title attribute is not solely "designed to host tooltip strings"
   and has not been "explecitely designated by W3C for this."
   - The function of the title attribute and its common visual display
   characteristics (as a tooltip) are being incorrectly conflated in this
   discussion.

Becky wrote:

"I don't want to make tooltips visible onfocus because I think that would be
annoying to both keyboard and screen reader users."

In Windows 'tooltips' are displayed on focus. (example: navigating through
the start menu shows tootips on items where present)

For screen reader users some indication that advisory information is
available needs to be provided, as it would be impratical to expect users to
query each focusable element to find out whether it has a "tootip" or not.
It has been suggested that for screen reader users and sound such as a
"beep" could indicate the presence of advisory information, but i would
suggest that the repeated sound of a beep would be more annoying than
actually hearing the title attribute content after the focused element
content is announced.

The same applies for keyboard users, if no indication that content is
displayed, how are they to know that they need to use a keystroke to display
the advisory information?

Having a user agent preference to show/announce title attribute information
on focus would be a possible method.

--
with regards

Steve Faulkner