Re: Formal Recorded Complaint

On Jul 30, 2007, at 3:06 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
>>>
>>> permanent banishment from the group should never be the first
>>> recourse.

>>> Compare that last paragraph to the email posted by John Foliot on
>>> this very subject not ten minutes before yours.
>>>
>>> What we have is not a 'lone voice of dissent'.  What we have is a
>>> consistent and persistent pattern of abuse of the consensus-driven
>>> process.
>> Actually, that paragraph is saying the 'lone voice of dissent' is
>> the bad case, whereas an ongoing failure of different significant
>> constituencies to achieve consensus is unfortunate but acceptable.
>> And that's what I am seeing here. We have significant groups that
>> disagree on the best way to approach the design of accessibility
>> features.
>
> I've reread and reread that paragraph, and still come to a different
> conclusion.
>
> "disruption constitutes an abuse ... Interactions of this type are
> fundamentally different from 'the lone voice of dissent'"

On the ohter hand, immediately after mentioning the 'lone voice of
dissent' it says "In other words, individual bad faith should not
trump community goodwill".

> This paragraph goes out of its way to say that one can responsibly
> be the 'lone voice of dissent', and that any process that values
> consensus should respect your position; it is only those that seek
> to disrupt a consensus driven process by driving out those that
> disagree that need to be dealt with.  The reason for this is simple:
> it is precisely to enable those that wish to champion minority
> opinions.

Actually, I don't think the paragraph has anything to do with driving
out those that disagree with the majority. It's about what it
describes as 'denial-of-service' attacks, in other words, repeated
messages that are off-topic or deliberately inflammatory. It takes
some pains to distinguish this kind of process disruption from good
faith disagreement or failure to reach consensus.

> Further information on the term: http://tinyurl.com/2pu6lz
>
>> It's important to keep in mind that when people disagree, there are
>> often different perceptions on different sides of the argument,
>> especially in media like email and IRC that don't convey emotional
>> cues very well. What you see as process abuse, others may see as
>> vigorous discussion that ultimately leads to a better spec.
>> Similarly, sometimes individuals may perceive a conversation as a
>> series of unwarranted personal attacks on them, where others may
>> see that individuals remarks as trolling or needlessly disruptive.
>> The first recourse in a dispute, ideally, should be for the parties
>> to talk directly to each other. Especially if the event that upset
>> you happened in a non-interactive medium or at a time when you were
>> not present. I hope we all consider this option before kicking
>> problems upstairs.
>
> First, I will note that I'm active on this conversation *precisely*
> because I am not embroiled in the accessibility discussion.

Did you contact any of those who are involved directly, before making
your recommendation to the chair to deal with the situation by
establishing and enforcing policies for removing participants?
(Personally, I'm not even sure who is involved, besides John; I don't
know who exactly he thought was rude.)

> With that out of the way, I will say that if I was the subject of
> persistent ridicule such as I have seen here, the last thing I would
> want to do is subject myself to more of the same.
>
>> And if that step doesn't work, then I think privately asking the
>> chairs for mediation would be a good next step. Broadly general and
>> widely cross-posted complaints are not as likely to make the
>> group's work flow more smoothly. On the contrary, they may make
>> disputing parties feel more defensive and dug into their positions.
>
> mediation would address the specific technical issue, not the
> persistent abusive tone.

Mediation is a method for resolving disputes. The dispute can be
technical, or about perceived lack of courtesy and professionalism.
Specific technical issues should ideally be addressed by normal group
process, but more personal conflicts (like what you describe as
"persistent abusive tone") are better resolved privately, if possible.

>> Let's try these kinds of approaches before we even bring up the
>> idea of a process for kicking people out. The responsibility for
>> making this group effective lies with all of us.
>
> That option needs to be extremely rarely used, but needs in place
> nevertheless.

I'd strongly prefer to see us solve problems that may drive away
valuable participants in some other way than deliberately kicking out
other valuable participants. And I don't think bringing up banning
policies is very productive when we haven't yet tried any other
approach.

Sincerely,
Maciej