Re: conflation of issues or convergence of interests?

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> * Providing an ordinary link to the description alongside the video
>   pro: already possible and easy to do.
>   pro: makes it available to anyone who wants it, not just those with
>        assistive technology that exposes it.
>   con: ?

con: "alongside" is too vague. Are we talking about proximity in the
markup, and if so do we need to define this proximity? Do they need to
be immediately adjacent? Or just within the same parent container? Or in
separate block level elements, but both in turn wrapped in another block
level container or a certain type, or...?
con: the relationship between the video and the link is not explicit,
and just relies on heuristics (which would need to evaluate the link
based on whatever principle of proximity was defined in the previous "con")
con: even if proximity was defined, this would create some "special"
grammatical or syntactical rule for HTML: "if a video element is
present, the next link element alongside it must be assumed to be a link
to an alternative for the video...unless the parent container is closed,
or unless...etc etc (not a trick question: how could this be expressed
in something like a DTD or schema?)

Patrick H. Lauke
http://redux.deviantart.com
http://webstandards.org/