Re: [note: two-level nav in WAI-ARIA] [was: Re: reCAPTCHA implementation problems]

Hey,

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 05:26:07 +0100, Ben Maurer <bmaurer@andrew.cmu.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> I think that (at least for people without disabilities) providing a tab
>> order that reflects the most common navigation path can be beneficial.
>
> Sure. But the tab order has to reflect the worflow all the way through. If
> you have to move a zillion times to get back to add a subject or CC, there
> are serious problems. About 3/4 of my mail uses a Cc, about 10% a Bcc - maybe
> I am a little unusual, but maybe not. And very nearly all of the mail I
> compose directly is to people in my contacts list.

So CC's I think are rare (you've got to be pretty picky to care about cc
vs to). Bcc's make a difference, I'm not sure how common though.

> Hmm. The "select from contacts" function is something I only use about 95% of
> the time.

Select from contacts is sort of lame given that Gmail has
complete-as-you-type which works 100x better.

>> Is there no way to say "this link isn't part of the normal work flow, don't
>> put it in the tab flow. However still let people get to it without the
>> mouse"? It seems like having tabs be the only way to make an element
>> accessible to the keyboard is an issue for some sites.
>
> accesskey is designed to provide accelerated access to things. It is badly
> specified, and badly implemented in some browsers, but it is still about the
> best there is. And can be well implemented on the same markup.

Agreed, that's one potential way to do it. I'm worried if it's
discoverable enough though.