Re: [note: two-level nav in WAI-ARIA] [was: Re: reCAPTCHA implementation problems]

Hey,

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Gez Lemon wrote:
>> However, when a11y changes also change behavior for other users,
>> we obviously need to evaluate that much more carefully. If the change
>> doesn't work as well for the majority of our users, we'll look for ways to
>> fix the issue.
>
> All users (people with and without disabilities) should be able to
> navigate to primary content using the keyboard alone, The expected
> behaviour to navigate to primary interface elements is using the tab
> key.

I think that (at least for people without disabilities) providing a tab
order that reflects the most common navigation path can be beneficial.
Take Gmail. To composte an email,one can press "c" which brings up the
following window:

To: ______________

Subject: ______________

Attach a file	Add event info

(big text area)

The "to" textbox is focused, one tab  goes to subject, next to the content
box.

Another example:

https://signin.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?SignIn&_trksid=m37

Username: ____________
Forgot your username?

Password: ___________
Forgot your password?

The tab order is username then password.

While functionalities such as "add cc" or "forgot your username" are
unarguably important, they also cleary distract from the workflow that
goes on 99% of the time (even with CAPTCHA, we're frequently not the last
element in a form, stuff like accepting ToS comes after us -- so enter
doesn't work).

Is there no way to say "this link isn't part of the normal work flow,
don't put it in the tab flow. However still let people get to it without
the mouse"? It seems like having tabs be the only way to make an element
accessible to the keyboard is an issue for some sites.

If there is absolutely no way to do this, we'll try doing a user study in
the form of logging how users interact with reCAPTCHA on the client side
(eg, request an image when they tab out of reCAPTCHA). This will help us
gauge what will work best for our users.

-b