Re: reCAPTCHA implementation problems

Hey,

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, Gez Lemon wrote:
> There are two things you could do to improve the accessibility of the
> links/buttons:
>
> 1: Put the refresh, toggle, and help link/buttons before the edit box
> containing the challenge. Linearly, it doesn't make sense to ask
> someone a question, and then tell them after they answer the challenge
> that they could have changed the question if they thought it was too
> difficult, change it to a different format, or get help.

Doesn't the refresh button make sense *after* the challenge. Thinking of
it as a dialogs:

This is a challenge. To find out more about the challenge <get help>.
Would you like an audio or visual challenge?

Ok, here's the audio challenge <sound> now enter those numbers in the text
box. If you couldn't hear them either <play the sound again> or <get a new
sound>.

It still degrades the experience for a visual user quite a bit though. Now
they have to tab three times before they can get to the input textbox.
What I'd really like is to have an out-of-band set of buttons that the
user can easily move in to.

> Personally, I
> strongly disagree with the notion that humans are detected by their
> ability to perform a task

Sadly, *right now* CAPTCHAs are pretty much the only thing stoping a
number of services from serious abuse. Our goal is to make them as
accessible as we can without allowing bots though.

-b