reCAPTCHA: focus moves after audio fired, some thoughts

ben wrote:
> The focus-moving is mostly for the demo. It makes it much easier
> to try out the demo (sort of like the google.com homepage). Also,
> we move the focus to the input box after you switch to/from an
> audio captcha. Any thoughts on this?
unquote

when you need to open the audio captcha challange in a media player,
like as not, focus is going to be grabbed by the media player, unless
one is quick enough to cycle back to the page, enter into "forms mode"
and get not just the application cursor into the text area, but the
virtual JAWS cursor, which allows one to actually interact with a
form, must first be invoked, either through the "form control list"
or by ensuring one is inside the edit area (using the aforementioned
INSERT plus TAB) and pressing ENTER to enter "forms mode", which i
have always thought one of the clumsiest implementations ever, as
ENTER can be interpreted as a command to the user agent to submit
the form, just as invoking the "form control list", which is invoked
using INSERT plus F5, sometimes undoes everything entered into the
form to that point due to its being misinterpreted as a call to
reload the document...  is there something other than quicktime you
could use, such as RealAlternative?  if you don't have QuickTime
installed, one must obtain the audio captcha via a media player that
like as not will steal focus from the browser instance --
RealAlternative, as i understand, is the second best thing to
using the operating system's or user agent's backplane audio
renderer, so that one need not leave the user agent in order to have
the audio file fired...

more to follow,
gregory.
If people really liked to work, we'd still be plowing the ground with
sticks and transporting goods on our backs.        -- William Feather
Gregory J. Rosmaita: oedipus@hicom.net AND unagi69@concentric.net
                Oedipus' Online Complex: http://my.opera.com/oedipus/