Re: reCAPTCHA implementation problems

The virtual cursor is different from the jaws cursor and one of the
first things new users learn and is used quite often by users but
should not have to be used to find controls.  I don't agree though
that a summary would be all that helpful since most screen readers can
now provide that on demand and since it would ad more clutter to the
page.

On Jul 13, 2007, at 12:25 PM, Joshue O Connor wrote:

Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
> 1. user doesn't know what to expect when encountering the form

Exactly, and also if this CAPTCHA is going to be different from the way
the usual CAPTCHA  will work (or not) then the user will have to be
informed of such. The skillful use of @summary in this case would be
really good.

> 2. user may never discern that the graphical tier of alternate
> slash assistance links even exist, eliminating (or limiting)
> the likelihood that a user will use JAWS' virtual cursor to
> inspect the entire page, [...]

Relying on the user to be able to navigate their way around using the
JAWS cursor is a bridge too far (in my book) as it is usually something
that only power users, or at least rather experienced screen reader
users will ever do so IMO it is not ideal to rely on it for the user to
find - what is essentially to be core functionality - of the accessible
CAPTCHA.

> quick and dirty fix: since the form is contained in a table, have
> you given any thought to adding a brief description of the form
> (how many fields, the tab order, that an audio alternate is
> available, etc.) -- using a summary would greatly assist a
> non-visual user in conceptualizing the form [...]

Agreed.

The switch to audio button could be a graphic with suitable alt text
that describes to the user what it is for. This would enable it to have
focus when the user tabs to it. Is it because of the way Javascript has
been applied in this instance that the two buttons 'reload' and 'switch
type' are both somehow out of the tab order? If so would it be possible
to use an element that would stay in the tab order and still   be able
to call a JS function to trigger the switch to audio mode? I guess so.

I also noticed a huge amount of 'vertical bars' in the interface, which
are really tedious to listen to, did anyone else get that? Or is it
indicative of my ongoing driver issues while running JAWS with Parallels
on a Mac Book Pro :-(

Josh

--
Jonnie Appleseed