Re: [field experience?] PIN echo and talking ATMs

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 18:18:09 +0200, Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@ieee.org>
wrote:

> At 10:59 AM -0400 5 07 2007, Wlodkowski, Thomas wrote:
>> Al,
>>
>> The Chevy Chase Bank talking ATMs echo the pin when an earphone is
>> connected.
>
> So there is actual practice along these lines.  Thanks.
>
>> I'm not sure you'd ever want to relax the echo feature when
>> dealing with the web however.
>
> Sometimes "on the web" is on a cell phone, where text entry is a
> fiddly, error-prone business. In this case being able to enable
> earpiece audio echo and review of what you have entered could spare
> users a lot of "account blocked -- too many bad login attempts."
>
> Bottom line: I think it takes a fresh look; can't guarantee if there
> would be sufficient cause to open up the echo to an appropriate audio
> channel. But I can't quite rule it out, either.

I think this is about right. For what it is worth, when entering passwords
on phone browsers with numeric key entry or even handwriting, there is a
screen echo of the character, that is replaced (typically with '*') after
you start the next character or after a time delay.

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com    Catch up: Speed Dial   http://opera.com