Re: CAPTCHA implementors' thread on wai-xtech

aaron --

i think the best feedback would from the implementors who participated
the impact of user testing upon their approach to the problem:

Ben Maurer -- reCAPTCHA point-person (Carnigie Mellon University)
Colin McMillen -- reCAPTCHA engineer
Chris Blouch -- AOL implementor
Don Evans - AOL

Joshue O Connor (CFIT) -- provided user testing footage and feedback

and i'd talk to norman walsh, as his solution to the bot versus person
question is based on simple computations, rather than pictures (yes,
there are definite problems with "what comprises a 'simple' computation?:
what if implementors substituted pictures of numbers and operands to
provide a false sense of double-security)

as for an executive summary one really must follow the threads on
wai-xtech to gain a complete picture of the CAPTCHA and reCAPTCHA
discussions and implementations, but here are the "highlights"

gregory.

the initial major problems outlined with reCAPTCHA and
reCAPTCHA's approach to rectify them are both in a single post:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2007Jul/0013.html

reCAPTCHA's code changes and further issues:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2007Jul/0047.html

problems with focus issues are addressed in:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2007Jul/0045.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2007Jul/0082.html

developers discussion of focus issues:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2007Jul/0046.html

CAPTCHA Accessibility: 1 issue or 2?
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2007Jul/0066.html

Joshue O Connor's test results (actual footage available on demand)
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/wai-xtech/2007Jul/0100.html
CONSERVATIVE, n.  A statesman who is enamored of existing evils,
as distinguished from the Liberal, who wishes to replace them
with others.         -- Ambrose Bierce, _The Devil's Dictionary_
             Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net