Re: Classification of AT in ATAG2

On Dec 10, 2003, at 6:12 PM, Geoff Deering wrote:
> Someone on that list asked me to take a look at ATAG2, so I did, but
> have not had time to address the issues I found until now.  I did have
> a discussion off list with 2 W3C people related to these areas, but it
> seems that the issues I raised did not register as major concerns to
> them.

Not a major concern? I'm composing this message on a flight home from
the XML 2003 conference where I presented to vendors of content
management systems on making their tools more accessible using ATAG.
Geoff, I really don't know how much more serious I can be about this.

When we exchanged emails, I told you specifically that I take this need
seriously, and that we are working on ways to make ATAG more usable to
CMS developers. There is no change since we talked because there has
been no new draft since we talked. We are aiming for a new draft in
January.

The paper I submitted:
http://www.w3.org/People/Matt/Papers/XML2003.html

> My point is, as it stands, ATAG2 does not clearly define each of these
> authoring environments and classify its guidelines accordingly.
> ATAG2, as a document, bundles all these tools into the one basket, not
> defining which classification of tools should be compliant with which
> set of guidelines.

This is because the draft is incomplete. It is an omission which is
being remedied in the process of moving things forward. We _will not_
be allowed to proceed to Recommendation if we do not have this
functionality.

> What is needed is clear classifications of these AT in the document.
> For instance;
>
> Application software needs to comply with check point A,B,C, etc
> Web Based form AT need comply with XYZ
> Scripts need to comply with OPQ
> whatever.

This is already in ATAG 1, in the form of conformance icons. It will be
done in a clearer and more logical fashion for each tool type in ATAG
2. I said this to you then, and I'm saying it to you again, in public,
now. It's not done yet. When we advance the document, it will be. Your
comments are noted, and reflect the consensus of the working group.

> I was not allowed access to the ATAG list even though I eventually
> said I would agree to the charter (do the work necessary to address
> these issues), so I was given access to this list as the appropriate
> one and told to post it here.

False. I specifically pointed you to the document for how to join the
Authoring Tools Working Group. Here it is again:

On Oct 16, 2003, at 8:27 AM, Matt May wrote:
> I noticed your xtech request, but didn't see one for AU.
>
> Do you wish to join the AUWG as a participant? If so, the procedure
> and requirements for doing so are at:
>
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/joining

You may join the list by sending the necessary information. I never
disallowed you access to anything. For that matter, the
w3c-wai-au@w3.org list is open for public comment, and is noted in the
document as the place to send comments on the draft:

"Please send comments about this document to the public mailing list:
w3c-wai-au@w3.org (public archives). Please note that this document may
contain typographical errors. It was published as soon as possible
since review of the content itself is important, although noting
typographical errors is also helpful."

-