RE: [XAG Change request] Applicability of XAG

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 DPawson@rnib.org.uk wrote:
CMN-old
  > I would like to propose that we remove the section XML
  > Grammars, and The
  > Scope Of XAG.
DP
  With the implication that applicability replace scope?
CMN
Yes
CMN-old
  > Applicability.
  >
  > In principle, every checkpoint in these guidelines should be
  > met by all XML
  > applications. In some cases, particular checkpoints will be
  > "Not Applicable".
  > For example, XSLT [ref] specifies transformations, and
  > doesn't normally ahve
  > a visual representation.
DP
  Which implies that if an instance or class of document doesn't have
  a visual representation XAG is inapplicable?
CMN
No - there are checkpoints that don't apply and checkpoints that do - whether
something is oriented towards representation for a user or not isn't a
criteria for whether it should meet XAG as a whole, only for what it does
with regard to individual checkpoints.
CMN-old

  > [[Note: It is an open question whether there should be a way
  > to represent
  > XSLT to authors. If so, then checkpoints dealing with constructing an
  > outline, providing multi-modal presentations, etc., probably
  > do apply]]
DP
  Issue: Anything not in the XSLT namespace is taken as literal content,
  so this is one occasion when namespaces don't work.
CMN I don't understand the issue. Can you please explain it a bit more?

cheers

Chaals