Re: SVG accessibility - title, description and what to do with it

Sorry for the somewhat late reaction, I was pretty much off-line the past week.

My fundamental reaction might be a bit controversial: I do not really
believe in a fully automatic linearization of and SVG content. The reason I
picked up the earlier work of Daniel in http://www.w3.org/2001/svgRdf/ is
exactly that: I think only an attached extra information in terms of
metadata can give any tool the proper clues as for what to display and
where and when. Do not take me wrong: what I wrote down in that note may
very well be a load of rubbish as far as the explicit rdf statements are
concerned, but I deeply believe in the direction itself.

To be more specific with an example: the rdf statements give you which
<desc> item to use and in which content. It also tells you to extract pure
textual information directly from the SVG content at the right place (if I
have a labelled figure, it seems unnecessary to repeat the label itself as
part of the metadata, ie, one can describe the figure itself and refer to
the fact that a specific element is a label and a tool can then extract
that portion of the SVG file).

It would be interesting to include these ideas in your examples...

Just my two pence's worth on a Sunday afternoon...

Ivan

At 05:17 07-09-01, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Loretta Guarino Reid asked me the following:
>
>Do you have a clear model for the way an SVG user agent should interact with
>assistive technology with respect to Title and Description? If I were
>linearizing an SVG document, should the linearized version include all titles
>and/or descriptions? Should it stop descending the hierarchy as soon as it
>encounters a description? Are descriptions attached to nodes of a complex
>graphic each intended to be a stand-alone replacement for the attached node?
>Should they assume the context of encompassing descriptions?
>
>I thought this would be a good place to discuss it. Some thoughts:
>
>I think there ought to be some default rendering level for a linear
>presentation - title and desc that are children of the SVG, or grandchildren.
>Maybe title of elements that are descendants of those. Beyond that I think it
>should be a navigable thing - increase detail, for example. Alternatively,
>build it as nested content, and rely on people having a decent browser to
>help them navigate at the right level of detail.
>
>The Batik guys have got tooltips available for titles, and I am not sure what
>Amaya does for its text rendering but will test something in it.
>
>What do folks think?
>
>Chaals
>
>--
>Charles McCathieNevile    http://www.w3.org/People/Charles  phone: +61 409
>134 136
>W3C Web Accessibility Initiative     http://www.w3.org/WAI    fax: +1 617
>258 5999
>Location: 21 Mitchell street FOOTSCRAY Vic 3011, Australia
>(or W3C INRIA, Route des Lucioles, BP 93, 06902 Sophia Antipolis Cedex,
>France)

Ivan Herman

Head of Offices, World Wide Web Consortium
C/o W3C Dutch Office hosted at CWI,  Kruislaan 413, 1098 SJ Amsterdam
tel:           +31-20-5924163
fax:          +31-20-5924312
mobile:     +33-608872517
email:       ivan@w3.org