Re: Glossary: Semantic/Semantic Web [was: Re: Glossary: Web Conte nt]

DPawson@rnib.org.uk wrote:

> Sean:
>
> > [Semantic Web]
> > The Semantic Web is a conceptual information space in which the
> > resources identified by URIs can be processed by machines. It operates
> > on the principles of "partial understanding" and "inference" (being
> > able to infer new knowledge of terms from data that you already
> > understand), and hence evolution and transformation.<delete> On an
> > implementation basis, information is mostly represented as a set of
> > triples (subject, predicate, object - similar to "noun verb object" in
> > natural language), that allows machines to connect terms to one
> > another. The relationships between the subjects and objects is often
> > what gives the data its "meaning", and allows for the bootstrapping
> > process to occur - for example "Zip in William's system is equivalent
> > to Zip in Aaron's system, which is kinda like Postal Code in Sean's
> > system".</delete> Because the URIs are being used to represent the
> resources,
> > systems can grow on a globally decentralized basis, similar to
> > hypertext documentation systems on the early WWW.
>
> Since definitions are sought, I've marked a section as a candidate
> delete from the above, rationale being that how it works is
> partly redundant for a definition.
>
> Does that clarify?
>  I certainly think its a fair working definition.
> I wonder what tbl would think of it!

Check out information on the Semantic Web home page [1]:

 "The Semantic Web is a vision: the idea of having data
  on the web defined and linked in a way that it can be
  used by machines not just for display purposes, but
  for automation, integration and reuse of data across
  various applications."

  [1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/

I strongly recommend coordinating with the Semantic Web
Activity if you are trying to define this term.

 - Ian

Tel:                     +1 831 457-2842
Cell:                    +1 917 450-8783