Re: [webwatch] Making a Table Accessible

Kelly, you hit the nail on the head, as usual.  This is a beautiful example.

Note how the tables used to select from among a variety of email list archive
indices suffers from the same problem, for example at

w3c-wai-gl@w3.org Mail Archives
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-gl>http://lists.w3.org/Archive
s/Public/w3c-wai-gl/

There is a bug in how we did the LABEL functionality for form controls in HTML
4.  Because the LABEL points to the control, instead of the other way
around, a
given LABEL can only explain one control.  In your example, the TH values at
the head of the columns are clearly the LABELs for the multiple checkboxes in
the column.  So:

Please experiment with upgrading the markup in the table.

Experiment #1: add a scope attribute to the column headers:

For example, what had been

<th>dial a 1</th>

becomes

<th scope='col'>dial a 1</th>

etc.

Experiment #2: use 'headers' attribute for the same information:

Here the change to the headers becomes:

<th id='123'>dial a 1</th> -- all ID values must be different from one another

and the typical data cell entry in that column becomes

There is a logical principle that we didn't spell out well enough and that the
assistive technology should be applying, which is that if a hotlink or a form
control appears in a table cell, the table headers associated with that table
cell should be treated as effective control labels of the form control or
hyperlink.

See how well they do on this example with the above assistance.

There is an algorithm in the HTML 4 specification that suggests how one can
guess the data to header relationships in your table, but at this point I am
not sure we should be relying on that.  If the assistive technology can
pick up
on the explicit linkage, we should make the de_facto advice to authors to mark
up even simple tables pedantically so the assistive technology can get the
hint.

Meanwhile we need to consider this case in the re-engineering of XHTML 2.0 to
make this label effect for table headers more clear in the specification.

Al

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-glAt 08:17 PM 2001-03-06 -0800,
you