Re: wake-up call

I have gotten some positive comments on what Ben was able to do with the
opening graphic of

<http://trace.wisc.edu/handouts/sc2000/middleware_and_eSCaped_web>http://tr
ace.wisc.edu/handouts/sc2000/middleware_and_eSCaped_web/

If anyone here can persuade the Device Independence group that they want to
use
this, I expect Trace would authorize its reuse (with credit).  I will go to
bat
for the permission if need be.

Al

PS:  I think that this may be a thread where EO is the logical lead
activity in
doing anything about it.  On the other hand, in terms of stretching our minds
[PF and GL et al] as to what can be done with graphics, it is good to go
beyond
the work of Edward Tufte to the work of Julie Tolmie who uses imagery as the
working medium for mathematical exploration and proof.  (Google that name).

At 01:07 PM 2001-04-09 -0400, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>I would suggest that people start by doibfg the drawing, and then worry later
>about how to get it into SVG. If you want to do SVG from scratch, Amaya
>(free), Adobe Illustrator (expensive), and a number of other packages support
>it for editing. (My experience is that the ease-of-use is related to the
>cost, but my experience is also very limited).
>
>Reasonably simple line / shape drawings are easier to replicate than ones
>which have complex curves or colour gradients...
>
>But  best is to have something to look at <grin/>
>
>cheers
>

>WARNING: The remainder of this message has not been transferred.
>The estimated size of this message is 6138 bytes.
>Click on the server retrieve icon above and check mail again to get the whole
thing.  If the server retrieve icon is not showing, then this message is no
longer on the server.