Re: [wbs] response to 'Persona Names and Pronouns Approval'

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for completing the survey! Reply below.

On 11-Aug-20 3:06 AM, Kevin White via WBS Mailer wrote:
>   * [ ] I support the approach and wording.
>   * [x] I am OK with the approach and wording; please consider my comments
> below on potential changes.
>   * [ ] I would support the approach and wording only with the changes in
> comments below.
>   * [ ] I do not support this approach and wording, because of the comments
> below.
>   * [ ] I abstain (not vote) and accept the decisions of the Working Group
> Comments:
> I wonder if it is worth recommending that gender neutral names are
> favoured. Even if a gender pronoun is included, readers may make their own
> assumption on reading. This is a minor thing though.

Good consideration.

In the EOWG meeting, there was mention of using names that are used for both genders. fyi, "Shadi" and "Shawn" are examples. :-)

I said: As a female who grew up with a name that is often male, I suggest we not do that... we would create a distraction.

e.g., if someone reads a name and assumes it is one gender, but then we use the other gender, it could be confusing or jarring.

Best,
~Shawn (female ;-)