Re: [wbs] response to 'EOWG Survey - Showcase Examples February 2016'

Hi Adina,

Thanks a lot for reviewing the scripts and for your comments. Please
find a few questions and clarifications inline below:

On 4.2.2016 18:48, Adina Halter via WBS Mailer wrote:
> The following answers have been successfully submitted to 'EOWG Survey -
> Showcase Examples February 2016' (Education and Outreach Working Group) for
> Adina Halter.
>

>> ---------------------------------
>> Script 1: Video Captions
>> ----
>> Please review Script 1: Video Captions and add any comments in GitHub as
>> new issues or pull requests. If you are not comfortable with GitHub,
>> please add your comments below.
>>

>   * (x) I reviewed it and have added comments (in GitHub or below).
>   * ( ) I didn't get to it; I will pass on commenting on the document and
> accept the decisions of the Group.
>
> Scene 1: "If I stopped talking now you'd have to guess what this film is
> about" should be something like "If the sound cut out now you'd have to
> guess what this scene is about".
>
> Basically the narrator isn't the one who is describing the film so it
> wouldn't matter if they stopped talking.

Isn't the narrator describing *this* video (as opposed to the one on the
tablet)? If the narrator stopped talking, I think it would leave people
wondering what is going on in the different scenes, no?

Also, "if the sound cut" is a little unclear - do you mean the music
versus the actual voice speaking?

> Also, someone may still figure out what the film is about without sound,
> but they would be confused from scene to scene.

I remember going to the cinema with deaf friends before they had
captions in theaters, and how we would end up seeing completely
different movies, even though we were sitting beside each other :)

Isn't it really more or less the same point to get confused from one
scene to the next versus not fully understanding what is going on? Maybe
some better phrasing can capture both aspects of this?

>> ---------------------------------
>> Script 2: Color Contrast
>> ----
>> Please review Script 2: Color Contrast and add any comments in GitHub as
>> new issues or pull requests. If you are not comfortable with GitHub,
>> please add your comments below.
>>

>   * (x) I reviewed it and have added comments (in GitHub or below).
>   * ( ) I didn't get to it; I will pass on commenting on the document and
> accept the decisions of the Group.
>
> Scene 2: I would take the word "mess" out.  Just "...to make this confusing
> and frustrating."
>
> I would say something more general then "navigating".  Maybe "... makes
> using the design a real pain"

I like these wording suggestions though we should be careful not to lose
too much of the casual conversational tone either.

> Scene 6: the people don't decline, their vision does.  Maybe "people with
> aging eyes may see their vision decline"

I thought "age-related vision decline" is a usual phrase to describe
vision decline due to aging? Maybe say "vision decline due to age"?

>> ---------------------------------
>> Script 3: Voice Recognition
>> ----
>> Please review Script 3: Voice Recognition and add any comments in GitHub
>> as new issues or pull requests. If you are not comfortable with GitHub,
>> please add your comments below.
>>

>   * (x) I reviewed it and have added comments (in GitHub or below).
>   * ( ) I didn't get to it; I will pass on commenting on the document and
> accept the decisions of the Group.
>
> No comments.
>

>> ---------------------------------
>> Script 4: Text to Speech
>> ----
>> Please review Script 4: Text to Speech and add any comments in GitHub as
>> new issues or pull requests. If you are not comfortable with GitHub,
>> please add your comments below.
>>

>   * (x) I reviewed it and have added comments (in GitHub or below).
>   * ( ) I didn't get to it; I will pass on commenting on the document and
> accept the decisions of the Group.
>
> In the first scene is the text on our screen or his screen?  I'm assuming
> the man in scene 1 is the same in scene 2.  So it should seem that the man
> is intently trying to read something, but then in scene 2 with the audio
> you see he's actually listening.  The sound of the reading should come up
> in volume in scene 2 so that we know that he was actually listening, not
> reading.

Yes, I make the same assumptions. I like your suggestion of hearing
parts of what the person is listening to.

> I think in this script we should sprinkle web and apps instead of it being
> all web.  Especially since more and more reading material is offered via
> apps like Kindle, iTunes (which has books now), and even Audible which is
> offering both web and native app.

We could change "websites they have to be properly coded" to "websites
and applications, they have to be properly coded" in Scene 6. Do you
have other suggestions?

>> ---------------------------------
>> Script 5: Layout and Design
>> ----
>> Please review Script 5: Layout and Design and add any comments in GitHub
>> as new issues or pull requests. If you are not comfortable with GitHub,
>> please add your comments below.
>>

>   * (x) I reviewed it and have added comments (in GitHub or below).
>   * ( ) I didn't get to it; I will pass on commenting on the document and
> accept the decisions of the Group.
>
> No comments.
>

>> ---------------------------------
>> Script 6: Notifications and Feedback
>> ----
>> Please review Script 6: Notifications and Feedback and add any comments
>> in GitHub as new issues or pull requests. If you are not comfortable with
>> GitHub, please add your comments below.
>>

>   * (x) I reviewed it and have added comments (in GitHub or below).
>   * ( ) I didn't get to it; I will pass on commenting on the document and
> accept the decisions of the Group.
>
> I'm confused about scene 6.  If in scene 5 the confusing error message was
> changed to something understandable but then in scene 6 we pull out to
> reveal elderly studying it and getting confused why is he confused if the
> error message in screen 5 had already been fixed?  Maybe scene 6 should be
> a scene with a different person than scene 5.

Good point - there is lots of switching back and forth here. How about
we move Scene 5 into Scene 7 (and break that up a little accordingly)?

>> ---------------------------------
>> Script 7: Large Click Areas
>> ----
>> Please review Script 7: Large Click Areas and add any comments in GitHub
>> as new issues or pull requests. If you are not comfortable with GitHub,
>> please add your comments below.
>>

>   * (x) I reviewed it and have added comments (in GitHub or below).
>   * ( ) I didn't get to it; I will pass on commenting on the document and
> accept the decisions of the Group.
>
> No comments.
>

>> ---------------------------------
>> Script 8: Text Customization
>> ----
>> Please review Script 8: Text Customization and add any comments in GitHub
>> as new issues or pull requests. If you are not comfortable with GitHub,
>> please add your comments below.
>>

>   * (x) I reviewed it and have added comments (in GitHub or below).
>   * ( ) I didn't get to it; I will pass on commenting on the document and
> accept the decisions of the Group.
>
> No comments.
>

>> ---------------------------------
>> Script 9: Simple Language
>> ----
>> Please review Script 9: Simple Language and add any comments in GitHub as
>> new issues or pull requests. If you are not comfortable with GitHub,
>> please add your comments below.
>>

>   * (x) I reviewed it and have added comments (in GitHub or below).
>   * ( ) I didn't get to it; I will pass on commenting on the document and
> accept the decisions of the Group.
>
> Just make sure that the child is also doing the reading.  Not just the
> grandpa.  Maybe she's reading and he's also trying to make sense of it
> behind her.

Yes, very good point! They read together thanks to accessibility...

>> ---------------------------------
>> Script 10: Keyboard Compatibility
>> ----
>> Please review Script 10: Keyboard Compatibility and add any comments in
>> GitHub as new issues or pull requests. If you are not comfortable with
>> GitHub, please add your comments below.
>>

>   * (x) I reviewed it and have added comments (in GitHub or below).
>   * ( ) I didn't get to it; I will pass on commenting on the document and
> accept the decisions of the Group.
>
> No comments.
>

>> These answers were last modified on 4 February 2016 at 17:46:35 U.T.C.
>> by Adina Halter
>>
> Answers to this questionnaire can be set and changed at
> https://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35532/EOWG-ShowcaseExamples3/ until
> 2016-02-10.
>
>   Regards,
>
>   The Automatic WBS Mailer

Thanks a lot,
   Shadi

Activity Lead, WAI International Program Office
W3C Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI)