Re: accessibility review and 4.0 release

nOn Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Dave Raggett wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Jason White wrote:
>
> > What other kinds of dictionaries did you have in mind?
>
>   - Abbreviations
>   - Pronunciations
>   - Hypertext links

There are two alternative approaches that could be considered.

1: Define a single link type (rel="dictionary"); then develop an XML DTD
for dictionaries in general, with an attribute near the beginning of the
dictionary file that indicates whether it is an
abbreviation/phonetic//pronunciation dictionary, or a dictionary
containing hypertext links of the kind that Dave has described. If this
strategy is followed, then the user agent must retrieve the dictionary
file before it can ascertain what type of dictionary it contains. Could
this be a disadvantage?

2. Define separate link types, one for each kind of dictionary; or perhaps
one for abbreviation/phonetics/pronunciation dictionaries, and another for
dictionaries that provide hypertext links. If such an approach is adopted,
then user agents which are not speech-based (and this of course includes a
majority of HTML user agents) will not load dictionaries unnecessarily,
only to discover that they are pronunciation dictionaries and not
hypertext dictionaries.

Thus, the issue is whether the link type should indicate to the user agent
the type of dictionary involved, or whether this function should be left
to the dictionary file format itself, as suggested in option (1) above. I
would tend to support the second approach, since I think it would be
better for user agents to be able to decide, based on the link type,
whether or not to load a particular dictionary.