Re: Dave Raggett: Re: IMG ALT attribute in HTML 4.0 (fwd)

Thanks Al...because someone is going to really have to convince me that
providing "backwards"-type compatibility is a bad thing to do. As a long
time software developer dealing with customers who took months to change to
"new" protocols (OBJECT), I have to believe that minimally implementing
both the protocol and helpful guideline is *not* a waste of time and *is* a
helpful measure.

These, btw, are not the words of someone who doesn't have vision or isn't
forward thinking...but rather they are based on past and current experience
of what users and web site designers are already expressing.

- Mike

At 12:21 PM 9/12/97 -0400, Al Gilman wrote:
>to follow up on what Jason White said:
>

>> Stated more generally, my question is whether guidelines that are
>> compatible with existing implementations and standards, but not
>> objectionable on the ground that, like the d-link proposal, they result in
>> substantial detriment to the visual appearance of a document, could be
>> developed to accommodate the Longdesc requirement with respect to image
>> maps.
>>

>If we are going to decline the gracious offer of the LONGDESC
>attribute I think we owe Dave and Mike _et al._ a carefully
>researched rationale.  At minimum I hope we can get both some
>relevant users and some relevant authors to assess some actual
>examples that work within what can be done now.
>
>Find pages the authors rate tops in appearance and see what we
>have to do to them to make them meet users' standards of
>usabilty.  Find pages the users rate tops in usability, and see
>what we have to do to them to make them meet authors' appearance
>standards.  Visible links don't have to be ugly; the do have to
>be styled right.  Basic worker unit for page rewrites is a
>two-person team: one sighted, one visually impaired or blind.
>
>Gregg and Chuck L.: any hope of this?
>
>--
>Al Gilman

Michael G. Paciello                      Executive Director,
E-Mail: mailto:paciello@yuri.org         Yuri Rubinsky Insight Foundation
Tel: +1 603 598 9544                     URL: http://www.yuri.org/
FAX: +1 603 598 2839                     Promoting Accessibility Awareness!

Please Make a Tax-Deductible Donation:   http://www.yuri.org/donate.html