Re: Stem consistency proposals

Hi Jan,

I think we are thinking along the same lines.

There were several sections that worked as unambiguous noun phrases and
I left them that way (1.3, 1.5, 1.10, 2.2, 2.9, 2.10). There were
several sections that had a mix but worked as unambiguous noun phrases
and I changed several titles to make them consistently noun phrases
(2.4, 2.11, 2.12, 3.2). There were 11 sections that had a mix and I
changed a few titles to make them consistently verb phrases. I think
this was best in terms of clarity and ambiguity and in most cases this
made for the fewest changes.

There was one section that was consistently noun phrases, but I thought
it was ambiguous enough that they should be changed to verb phrases
(2.7). In this case I also provided a noun phrase alternative in the
third column, with only one change for clarity.

There was one section that only had one SC that was a verb phrase that I
provided an alternative noun phrase for as well (2.9).

Here's what I see as the balance: Verb phrases more clearly show point
of view, and so are sometimes clearer, but can be longer. Noun phrases
are often more succinct, but can be ambiguous.

So when the SC's under a given guideline are very consistent, we might
be able to get away with noun phrases, because the whole thing is fairly
clear anyway. For instance, with Guideline 1.5  "Provide volume
configuration" every guideline is about the user agent providing some
kind of volume configuration.

But Guideline 1.1 "Provide access to alternative content", is much less
consistent. So "Size and position of time-based media alternatives"
doesn't tell you what the user agent is doing versus the user, while
"Allow resize and reposition of time-based media alternatives" makes it
clear.

I probably should have had a fourth column with all the title changes
including the changes-- I think the consistency shows up better that way.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kim