Re: Equivalency, Languages, Checkpoint 2.3

At 2000-11-02 08:13-0600, Jon Gunderson wrote:
>Al,
>Here is another try at the wording of checkpoint 2.3.  I hope this is more
>than just another circle.
>
><NEW>
>2.3 For any elements with recognized equivalents, provide easy access to all

HB: What are "recognized" equivalents? By whom? user or user agent?
Omit "all",  not all assistive technology can handle "all" the equivalents,
same problem as in the prior version where "each" was used.

<newer>2.3 For any elements with recognized equivalents, provide easy
access to equivalents through one of the following mechanisms:</newer>

>equivalents through one of the following mechanisms:
>(1) allowing configuration to render just one the alternatives from the
>available equivalents;
>(2) allowing configuration to render at least two of the alternatives at
>the same time from the available equivalents;

HB: "Concurrently", rather than "at the same time". The latter can be
interpreted
as requiring time synchronization (of text, audio, video), such as through
SMIL,
at some detail level, such as to the word, as we'd like to do in digital
talking
books, but as a general requirement I believe this is asking too much.

<newer>(2) allowing configuration to render at least two of the alternatives
concurrently from the available equivalents.</newer>

>(3) allowing the user to select the rendered element and then inspect its
>alternatives;

HB: Do we expect selection of each entire "rendered element" (such as
parent container DIV for many children) to have an alternative?

How about:
<newer>(3) allowing the user to select any element that directly contains
content,
and then inspect its alternatives;</newer>

>(4) providing a direct link to the alternatives in content, just before or
>after the element in document order.
>
>[Priority 1]
>...</NEW>
>
><CURRENT>
>2.3 Provide easy access to each equivalent and each equivalency target
>through at least one of the following mechanisms: (1) allowing
>configuration to render the equivalent instead of the equivalency target;
>(2) allowing configuration to render the equivalent in addition to the
>equivalency target; (3) allowing the user to select the equivalency target
>and then inspect its equivalents; (4) providing a direct link to the
>equivalent in content, just before or after the equivalency target in
>document order. [Priority 1]

Regards/Harvey