Re: Checkpoints 7.5, 2.5, 2.6, 1.5, 3.8 (Suggestion 3)

"Hansen, Eric" wrote:

> To: UA List
> From: Eric Hansen
> Re: Checkpoints 7.5, 2.5, 2.6, 1.5, 3.8
>
> This memo concerns Ian's memo [2] (Re: Proposal for 7.5 [Was Re: Issue with
> checkpoint 7.5 (search) and serial...) and relates to other memos.
>
> ====
>
> Suggestion 3: Clarify the meanings of checkpoints 2.5 and 2.6.
>
> It looks like in checkpoints 2.5 and 2.6 when we refer to "non-text content"
> we mean "non-text elements", i.e., content that would require text
> equivalents per WCAG checkpoint 1.1. Please correct me if I am wrong in this
> assumption. I am thinking that since we use the term "recognized" in front
> of "text equivalent", one should also put "recognized" in front of "non-text
> content" because there are lots of cases in which the system might not
> recognize non-text content (elements). Current markup specs do not allow
> identification of all non-text elements.
>
> Old:
>
> "2.5 For non-text content that has no recognized text equivalent, allow
> configuration to generate repair text. If the non-text content is included
> by URI reference, base the repair text on the URI reference and content type
> of the Web resource. Otherwise, base the repair text on the name of the
> element including the non-text content. [Priority 2]
> Note: Some markup languages (such as HTML 4 [HTML4] and SMIL 1.0 [SMIL]
> require the author to provide text equivalents for some content. When they
> don't, the user agent is required to repair the invalid content by
> generating a text equivalent. Refer also to checkpoint 2.6.
> Techniques for checkpoint 2.5
> "2.6 When the author has specified an empty text equivalent for non-text
> content, do not generate one. [Priority 3]
> Note: Authors may provide an empty text equivalent (e.g., alt="") when one
> is required by specification, but the non-text content has no other function
> than pure decoration. Please refer to the Web Content Accessibility
> Guidelines 1.0 [WCAG10] for more details. Refer also to checkpoint 2.5.
> Techniques for checkpoint 2.6"
>
> New: No change suggested if my assumption about "non-text content" is
> correct.

I think that I agree with Eric's assessment about the
relationship between 2.5/2.6 and WCAG 1.1. I am not sure about adding
"recognized" in front of "non-text content" since we would end up
saying "recognized video" or "recognized captions" everywhere. This, to
me, is still an editorial issue: include "recognized" in every
checkpoint,
or factor it out? I am favorable to stating once in the applicability
section (which means we could/should remove "recognize" from each
checkpoint's
text).