Re: Accessibility of Documentation, checkpoint 11.1

Well, I would vote for a relative priority as used in ATAG. It seems odd to
have a triple-A tool where the documentation has removed the absolute
barriers, but not the significant impediments, to using the documentation.

Charles

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Ian Jacobs wrote:

  Ian Jacobs wrote:

  > "Hansen, Eric" wrote:

  > > New:
  > >
  > > "11.1 Provide a version of the product documentation that conforms to
  > > level-A of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 [WCAG10]. [Priority 1]
  > > Note: User agents may provide documentation in many formats, but at least
  > > one must conform to the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0 [WCAG10]."
  > >
  > > Note that I have only required level-A conformance. I don't think that level
  > > triple-A is appropriate at all; Priority 3 checkpoint "may" help people with
  > > disabilities. Double-A conformance might be warranted.
  > >
  > > I think that we need to minimize such interpendencies.
  >
  > It's my opinion that we don't have to say this since to conform at
  > all to WCAG 1.0 you must conform at least a level-A. However, if people
  > feel that saying level-A explicitly clarifies the minimal requirement,
  > I'm ok with this proposal.

  I would go further to say that this is an editorial clarification
  and I will add it to the next draft (with a note that the WG has
  not confirmed this proposal). Since we have not specified to date
  which particular level of WCAG conformance is required, it follows
  that the minimal level is WCAG Level-A.

  If there is any opposition to Level-A being the minimal level
  of conformance for this checkpoint, please speak up.

   _ Ian