Re: Proposed editorial change to checkpoint 4.15

In Australian english the default for whether is whether or not. I would not
change this, but that might just be becuase of language differences.

Charles (I am slowly learning the differences between Australian and American
English but there is still a way to go)

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Harvey Bingham wrote:

  At 2000-04-14 18:29-0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:

  ><OLD>
  >  4.15 Allow the user to configure how the focus changes.
  ></OLD>
  >
  ><NEW>
  >  4.15 Allow the user to configure whether the focus
  >       moves automatically to a viewport that opens without
  >       an explicit request from the user.
  ></NEW>

  "whether" dangles without an alternative. I prefer the following with
  qualification. [I believe the default should not be to move focus
  automatically (and without alerter) as that is disorienting, without
  means to get back.]

  >  4) Should this checkpoint be expressed in the negative
  >     instead? "Allow the user to configure the focus behavior so that
  >     it does not automatically move to a viewport that opens without
  >     an explicit request from the user."

  I think that should be reversed, so the default is don't move. Also the
  user configuration then would need to substitute some alternative means to
  alert the user of the new viewport. Do we need/have a means to step through
  multiple viewports? Is notice provided whenever viewport change is made?

  Regards/Harvey