Re: ERT techniques in UA guidelines?

not wishing to confuse the issue, it might be possible for a user agent to
provide er through assistive technologies.  I only say this because it would
be sad if two things happen:
1> the only way to get valid code out of something you need is to go to some
other web site after finding that you can't use the site in question in
order to have that site turned around, and
2> even though the code might not be valid, it becomes an access issue
because of data needed for accessability not being passed.

Having said this, I do not feel that it is necessarily an access issue but
have long sought an user agent that would automatically alert the page
author that there are problems with a site code wise and explain the
difficulties that might arise for users and even to suggest repair
strategies and to copy that message to someone who could follow up and also
to the individual who accessed the site for reference.

In some cases, assistives already do some repair work.  This is in some ways
what msaa does.  It might also be something to take up in our rechartering
as we move towards blurring the lines of distinction between html and other
functional specs.

Dick Brown wrote:

> I have an action item from the ER group:
>
> >> Action DB take issue to UA - should they be considering ERT techniques in
> their guidelines? have they already? include in techniques document?
>
> I don't have strong feelings that User Agents should employ ERT techniques,
> but when the issue came up we agreed UA folks might be interested in hearing
> about it.
>
> Gregory has some thoughts below.
>
> Dick Brown
> Program Manager, Web Accessibility