Re: Definition of mainstream browser

I think the main problem here is determining the scope fo the guidelines.
My impression of the consensus of the group is to define the guidelines and
checkpoints  based on user centered accessibility issues, rather than a
mainstream browser centered problem document.  The techniques document
would be the place to talk about implementation ideas for different types
of user agents (i.e. main stream, Web TV, assistive technologies,
specialized browsers).

Therefore talking about a mainstream browser does not make sense to me give
the recent discussions of the group.  If you did not participate or review
the discussion on conformance and user types, please do so before
responding to this discussion.
http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/wai-ua-wd-issues.html#ua-types

We need to bring this "scoping" issue to a close and I propose that the
next telecon we revisit this topic and try to bring it to resolution once
and for all.

Jon

At 04:38 PM 1/15/99 +0100, Daniel Dardailler wrote:

>> Please define "mainstream" browser for me, so I can put the definition on
>> the issues list.
>
>A generic definition would be a Web UA targeted for use on a standard
>desktop platform with: graphical screen, keyboard, mouse, audio (I'm
>sure the PC industry has a definition of a standard desktop somewhere,
>we don't need to redefine that), primarily by non disabled users.
>
>A specific definition is: one of
>  - Netscape Navigator, Microsoft Internet Explorer
>  - any other that compete with these two (Opera, IBM WebExplorer, etc)
>
>A corrolary of these definitions is that a mainstream browser, as
>Chuck Opperman said on the list,"is often times forced on students and
>employees." who would otherwise use more specialized user agents best
>suited to their needs.

1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820

Voice: 217-244-5870