How hard is linearisation?

to follow up on what Charles said:

> Table unrolling means that the browser not use the HTML 4.0
> specified means of visually rendering the table, but to use a
> simpler means.  Outside the rendering code, you can use a
> script to manipulate the objects, but in the rendering engine
> the code is much different.

In the editor application of the core code, linearisation is
supported in writing out an HTML text.  Somewhere among those
myriad programmers, somebody already has the code to do this.

Is it really that hard to anaesthetize the table rendering and
follow the linear flow and still drive text to the screen?

Raman was quite dismissive about what Lynx does.  "Lynx doesn't
do anything to linearize tables; what it produces is just a
product of what it _doesn't_ do!"  And this seems to work.

Saying this should be done by post-processing in a script is
questionable if what needs to be done can be done simply by
eliminating steps in the prior processing.

It sounds like you are saying that the DOM is just for show, for
third-party consumption; the rendering engine doesn't use it.
Otherwise it should be simple enough to down-class tables in a
shim between the DOM and the existing rendering process.

Al