Re: A table navigation technique

to follow up on what Kathy Hewitt said:

> How useful would it be for tables used for page layout?  It
> could be more confusing than helpful.

This bears clarification, but the experience I have heard from
users is that even in the absense of author guidelines, it is
more often helpful than confusing.  Not always, by any means.  So
far as I understand, layout tables linearize better than "true"
tables, on the whole for the cases where there is user
experience.

Further, it seems there is the intention in the GL group that if
some table coping mechanisms are defined in the User Agent
guidelines, that the Author guidelines will say that layout
tables must be constructed so that linearization [or whatever the
UA guidelines method is] yields a reasonable reading of the
content.

Whatever methods are adopted here, we should try to convince
ourselves that it is possible to construct layout tables that
transform gracefully under this techique.

I guess that even 'though it was supposed to be a joint telecon,
the "conference committee" caucus on this point only had its
minutes announced in the GL working group.

  http://www.w3.org/WAI/GL/meetings/19981111.html#minutes

Al