Re: Position of main frame

Thanks for the clear explanation of what you are experiencing.

It is true that if the site did not use frames, you would be at
least in the right pane when you exercise the browser 'back'
function.  But even that is not quite what you want.

Saving the state of the frameset and the focus on the hot link
that you followed to get to the curent net address is something
that browsers could do, so I am copying the UA group on your
message.

On the other hand, I suspect that even if authors and browsers do
what they will to make the situation better with HTML as we know
it today, there will still be work left to do in the area of
engineering the future web technology related to this case
history.  [And that you are not alone; you are just more
articulate about what you need than a lot of other people you
speak for.]

Note to WAI folks: This discussion could be categorized under
"browse state management" and thereby relates to the "unified
control philosophy spanning DHTML and SMIL domains" issue we have
discussed before in WAI-UA and WAI-PF:DOM discussions.

Al