Re: navigating vs searching

I think the current guidelines put direct navigation into searching, since
when it is discussed it usuaully refers to bring up a list of elements
(i.e. links) and have the user use a numeric or aphabetic key board
commands to move through the list.  I am not sure there is a big
distinction between this type of direct navigation and the general concept
of searching.  It potentially may be an easier sell, if it is discussed as
searching (since many user agents already have search functions) than as
some new keyboard based technique.

What do people think about combining direct navigation with search functions?

Jon

At 09:12 AM 11/4/98 -0500, Kitch Barnicle wrote:

>In the "navigation" sections  of the guidelines and techniques it seems as
>though we primarily refer to sequential navigation. Has the concept of
>direct navigation been folded into searching?  To me the notion of
>searching implies an extra step. While I think providing multiple ways to
>search for items on a page is important, I don't want to totally lose the
>concept of directly moving to a link or active element. What do people
>think? Am I missing something?
>

>Also, I am not sure what 5.6.3 means, "Allow the user to search for a link
>in the current document based on its position."  Is this guideline a
>substitute for providing numbered links?
>

>Thanks,
>Kitch

1207 S. Oak Street
Champaign, IL 61820