Re: A scenario

your statement about screenreader developpers duplicating each others work
may make the last point moot because if the browser provides the propper
information to the third party device, the only thing the third party
device needs to do is be sure to take advantage of it.  perhaps we need to
develop annother third party device to go between but that may be a topic
for another time and annother list.
I'd say the strongest case can be made for features that can benefit all.
I'd also say that many features benefitting one using a screenreader can
probably benefit all even if that eans that the feature need be adapted to
fit annother catagory.

On Wed, 11 Mar 1998, Scott Luebking wrote:

> Hi,
> Just a couple of thoughts about deciding if a feature should be in a
> browser or in third party accessibility software.
>
> If a feature meets any of the following criteria, the feature should probably
> be in the browser:
>
>     a.  the feature falls into universal design because it can benefit both
> 	disabled and non-disabled users
>
>     b.  the feature can be benefit more than one disability, e.g. a feature
> 	which helps both blind and quadriplegics
>
>     c.  the feature is of such basic or significant benefit to a particular
> 	disability group that the disability group would benefit from the
> 	feature being centralized  in the browser rather than re-created
> 	in various third party accessibility software packages
>

> The above 'c' criteria is included for situations where it makes
> sense for the browser developer to do some work once rather than
> perhaps screen reader companies using their limited resources to duplicate
> each other's work.  The disabled users also benefit in that it will
> be easier for them to switch between screen readers without having
> to learn all sorts of new browser commands associated with each screen reader.
> (Screen reader developers can of course still add their own browser-specific
> features.)
>
> What do people think?
>
> Scott

Hands-On-Technolog(eye)s