From: David Van Der Molen <dvm975@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2023 4:56 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: [External Email]Jaws Not Reading Alt-Text That's in a Graphic

[External Email]
If this message comes from an unexpected sender or references a vague/unexpected topic; Use caution before clicking links or opening attachments.
Please send any concerns or suspicious messages to: Spam.Abuse@usda.gov

Hi everyone.

I am a totally blind registered Jaws user. The CEO of the organization for which I work publishes a blog. He's told me that he has completed the alt-text field for the image that's in the post at the following link:

https://gcc02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cccc.org%2Fnews_blogs%2Fjohn%2F2010%2F11%2F30%2Fmy-soul-my-soul-must-sing%2F&data=05%7C01%7C%7C4216d81b56dc40b10e3808db262bfcfd%7Ced5b36e701ee4ebc867ee03cfa0d4697%7C0%7C0%7C638145742588614394%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&sdata=dHR%2BORRdi2zQ6mD5cUadlDg%2F1u2rPI2%2FNg5VEVttrUY%3D&reserved=0

When I get to the graphic, Jaws reads the title of the post, and then says "graphic."

I'm using the latest build of Jaws 2023. I've also tried NVDA, and I get the same result. I'm running Windows 10 and am using Firefox and Chrome.

Is there something wrong with the way the alt-text is inserted into the blog post? Is there a setting in Jaws that I need to check, so that the alt-text is read?

Thanks in advance for your help with this!

Regards,

David Van Der Molen