RE: accessible epub

/Quote: 1. Generated lot of empty paragraphs for spacing. /EndQuote

That’s a content-creator error, not the fault of either the source software, conversion utility, file format, or the reader device.

Learn to add white space digitally with the Pages software’s formatting tools instead of putting blank returns between paragraphs.

/Quote: 2. . images and design elements that have an aesthetic purpose but no informational purpose would be announced. /EndQuote

See if Pages has a utility to add Alt Text or set graphics as artifacts/null/background.

/Quote: 4. when I used drop caps. /EndQuote

The SPAN tags around the “M” in your example are to designate the visual formatting of the “M” that’s different from the rest of the word, “ore.” The SPAN tag might be necessary for the reading device to render the content with a big drop cap, but it sure isn’t needed by those using screen readers or other text-to-speech devices.

Other than not ever using drop caps in accessible files, we’ll have to ask screen reader manufacturers to ignore SPAN tags in the middle words and voice the entire word correctly as “More” rather than “M” “ore.”

/Quote:  when you convert an epub do problems like this go away? /EndQuote

Yes, somewhat.

*       Use better software to create the source document. Word and Adobe InDesign are better choices with many accessibility tools and features. Pages is a free program from Apple.

*       Get training in how to create a better, more compliant source document. Example, double blank hard returns should never be in your source document to begin with. And learn how to control the reading order and tags, how to add Alt text or designate artifacts.

*       Use a better EPUB conversion utility.

*       Learn how to edit the resulting HTML and CSS files to improve the accessibility and use on various different e-readers.

1.       Free software like Pages generally don’t have controls or tools for accessibility. It takes millions of R & D dollars to create these tools. Remember, you get what you pay for.

2.       There are no magic wands or easy buttons. Learn to create the file correctly, export it to EPUB or PDF or HTML, and learn how to tweak the final file.

— — —

Bevi Chagnon  | Designer, Accessibility Technician |   <mailto:Chagnon@PubCom.com> Chagnon@PubCom.com

— — —

PubCom: Technologists for Accessible Design + Publishing

consulting • training • development • design • sec. 508 services

Upcoming classes at  <http://www.pubcom.com/classes> www.PubCom.com/classes

— — —

 <https://mailchi.mp/e694edcdfadd/class-discount-3266574> Latest blog-newsletter –  <https://www.pubcom.com/blog/2020_07-20/alt-text_part-1.shtml> Simple Guide to Writing Alt-Text