Re: accessible epub

Well actually I might be wrong thinking about it, as I've never used any
screenreader or anything with an epub, perhaps I am just migrating my
experiences from how things work in browsers to how they work with epub -
do most people use some sort of screenreader for reading epub or do they
convert?

Also perhaps inaccessible is too strong a word, perhaps the phrase should
instead be probably accessibly annoying or something because , just looking
through what was generated, My feeling was:

1. Generated lot of empty paragraphs for spacing, some people may get
'blank' announcements, want to avoid that. However I could probably fix
that relatively easily if epub accepts aria-hidden, because I could just
search replace > </ and put an aria-hidden in.

2. images and design elements that have an aesthetic purpose but no
informational purpose would be announced. There's not a lot of those so I
guess I could fix those tonight.

3. things that are for design reasons should either be dropped or put
together in some way that makes sense, for example some parts are put
together like a deck of cards, with numbers in a suit, like the 3 of spades
etc. The markup that is generated for this is generally something like

4.  when I used drop caps and looked at the markup it is
depending on how you were running the reader, maybe that is however because
I am used to using it for testing and in real world usage you would be able
to read without that problem?

So - when you convert an epub do problems like this go away?

Thanks,
Bryan Rasmussen