Re: Empty <P> Tags For Spacing

A screen reader (SR) announcing "blank" when it hits an empty P is entirely correct. Indeed it is the job of the SR to announce HTML, whether it is good or bad, although if it is bad it may make mistakes or be unable to announce it* (*principle reason why HTML should be well formed).

It is the HTML author's job to code valid HTML and so not include empty P tags.

As it stands if I am a sight-impaired coder using a SR and I want the SR to help me identify if my CMS is inserting bad markup by leaving empty P tags, then all is good, since it does announce these and I can fix that.

If content authors wish visual space, and an empty P tag (or empty any tag) is used for the purposes of adjusting visual spacing, then those content authors need to read up on CSS and the "...separation of structure (or: content) from presentation".

https://www.w3.org/standards/webdesign/htmlcss#whatcss?

Alan

-Alan Bristow
Web Programmer