Re: 2.5.3: Label in Name

On 08/02/2022 17:47, Guy Hickling wrote:
> I am reading this question as asking if 2.5.3 can be applied to native
> desktop software written in programming languages such as Java, C++ etc,
> not web content. Strictly speaking, the WCAG applies to web content.

But 508 and the EU directive effectively make you apply WCAG criteria to
non-web software as well (with a few tweaks/caveats - like 508 excluding
certain SCs in this case).  So in terms of evaluating native software as
part of an assessment (which is how I took the question), the
process/check is pretty much the same as for web content.

> But
> all software should be accessible to disabled people and should be able
> to achieve that by adhering to the WCAG's principles. But as to how to
> implement 2.5.3 specifically, for instance in Java or other similar
> environment, I don't know. I would be interested to find out?

It will depend on the environment/OS you're coding for. Most GUI
frameworks have some form of concept similar to the accessible name,
that is exposed via the platform accessibility API to provide a
name/label for a control.

--
Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke