From: Mike Cleary <mike.cleary@grantsolutions.gov>
Sent: Thursday, June 9, 2022 2:13 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Checking need for unique labels, headers, graphic labels, etc.

Hi all,
I'm looking for guidance about when we need unique button labels, graphic labels, headers, etc. Our 508 tester flags all the duplicate names she sees in JAWS lists of buttons, graphics, etc., out of concern that users will not be able to distinguish between them. I'm afraid we may be going too far -- or that I don't know enough.
Unique labels may have some value on form with multiple fields or controls with the same purpose -- a long unbroken string of "delete buttons," for example.
But is this an absolute rule in all cases? Do we need unique subheaders, even when they mean the same thing and are embedded in different tables that have their own title headers?
Do we have to uniquely label all dollar-sign graphics for a financial table with multiple rows and columns? (Or can we get away with hiding them all as decorative images?)
We have forms with buttons with the same names, but lots of buttons in between, often within a numbered structure of data fields. For example, Outcome 1, field 1; Outcome 1, field 2, etc.?. Wouldn't that provide context for occasional identical buttons that fall under different Outcome numbers?

Please advise!

Mike

--
Mike Cleary | Scrum Master
mike.cleary@grantsolutions.gov<mailto:mike.cleary@grantsolutions.gov>

GrantSolutions | 1700 Rockville Pike | Suite 600 | Rockville, MD 20852
Office: 703-288-5300 ext.157