Re: Question for form fields on mobile: to break out or not?

On 18/10/2021 17:59, Jerri Zhang wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to figure out whether or not it's against
> recommendations to break forms fields on mobile into separate screens. I
> think if my readings have been correct, forms ought to stay together on
> the same screen on desktop UI because a keyboard is often used for
> navigating through them for completion.
>
> However, it's unclear whether that is applicable on mobile. Does the
> same behavior occur? Are there issues with having form fields broken out
> into multiple screens in a registration flow (ie: one input field per
> screen) even if there is a progress bar/indicator above? It’s a common
> pattern I’ve seen in a lot of apps and would like some insight.

I'd move away from thinking about this in terms of "desktop vs mobile"
(also noting that even on desktop, some users may use a small-ish
viewport because they're zooming or using screen magnification, and on
mobile users can/will also use keyboards, so the boundaries are very
fluid these days). Think about it in terms of "how annoying is it for a
user to only see one or two form fields at a time, how many sub-steps am
I forcing the user to take". It's more a usability question, rather than
an accessibility question.

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux