Re: SC 1.4.10 Reflow - scrollbar by design a fail or not?

On 24/06/2021 08:12, Gerard Copinga wrote:

> If you look at the website https://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/
> <https://www.ikea.com/nl/nl/> (Sorry, Dutch website) you see some blocks
> of content half-way with arrow buttons to scroll left and right and you
> will see a scrollbar below these blocks of content. Would this example
> fail 1.4.10 or not and why? On a screen with a width of 320 pixels you
> will have to scoll horizontally of view all the blocks, but the contents
> of each block can be read without scrolling.

While not explicitly mentioned in the understanding document, this
should pass, as the user doesn't have to scroll in two dimensions to
read the content on each block/item in the slider/carousel.

> A similar example but with more contents per block can be found on this
> website: https://technobility.nl/ <https://technobility.nl/> (also
> Dutch, sorry). Look at the blocks of content below the heading "Onze
> diensten". It's a kind of slider but also with a scrollbar on smaller
> size viewports. Is this a fail or not and why (not)?
> And what about this example: look at
> https://magazine.forumstandaardisatie.nl/
> <https://magazine.forumstandaardisatie.nl/> (also Dutch). There is a
> menu with links like "Portfolio", "Monitor Open standaarden", etc. On a
> smaller viewport, by design, you will see a scrolbar just for this menu.
> Is this a fail or not?

I'm on the fence with that last one, but in principle as long as the
separate items can be read in full (i.e. you don't need to scroll *while
reading* in order to be able to get the full word/sentence/block), it
should pass.

> Is there a difference between a scrollbar set by a UserAgent and by
> design? Or is that not relevant?

Distinction here is not so much who created the scrollbar, but whether
or not the amount of information/block that is shown at any one time
fits in the viewport/browser window at 320 CSS px.

If the rest of the WG agree, this would likely be worth documenting a
bit more thoroughly in the understanding document (similar to what was
done about tables, giving the nuance about table *cells* being able to
fit in the viewport).

Patrick H. Lauke

https://www.splintered.co.uk/ | https://github.com/patrickhlauke
https://flickr.com/photos/redux/ | https://www.deviantart.com/redux