From: bryan rasmussen <rasmussen.bryan@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 16, 2021 2:50 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: search with autocomplete

This message may be from an external email source.
Do not select links or open attachments unless verified. Report all suspicious emails to Minnesota IT Services Security Operations Center.

I was recently thinking about to make a search with autocomplete solution work in relation to a screenreader and in the middle of doing so I developed the rather jarring idea that I could think of no way in which such a thing could ever be useful to a blind user of a screenreader (although perhaps useful for a sighted user)

In my experience autocomplete works for me because while typing I can with a bit of pattern recognition see that what I am looking for is suddenly in the first few results and immediately select what I want.

Are there any studies of autocomplete solutions for blind users where they actually say this was useful for us? Is there any blind user on the list here who can say they have used an autocomplete solution that helped them? If so, what were the best parts of that solution?

Thanks,
Bryan Rasmussen